November 20, 2008

Is there anything Julie Walters won't advertise?

In the space of one commercial break her face or voice (and sometimes her face and voice) appeared in no less than four different adverts; including one for WHSmith where she not only promotes her own book, but also manages to crowbar in a mention of her role in Mamma Mia.

I don't care if a well-known face wants to advertise fifty companies - anyone, no matter how much integrity they have, would find it hard to turn down that kind of money - which means it's only when Julie Walters does it that I find it annoying. I'm not her biggest fan but, putting that aside for a moment, I think it's because she has skewed the effect of her voiceovers by being so overly aggressive in those government messages about testing your smoke alarm.

Last night, when an advert opened on a Christmassy (roaring fire, decorated tree) living room scene and she started to speak, I fully expected to be told that my family were all going to die if I forget to turn the fairy lights off.

Not, that Tesco are selling mince pies for half price!

No comments: