November 24, 2008

The Sonnets - Warwick Collins

I worked on this book back in the last week of July. It was my first assignment for The Friday Project and I was full of trepidation. I already knew that Heather - the publishing editor - was lovely, but I was going to be working directly with the author*, was unfamiliar with the House style guide, and if I didn't like this book, there was a chance I wasn't much going to like what came my way in the future, either. Lucky, then, really, that they started me off with a bit of a corker.

The Sonnets is set in the 1590s, and follows a young William Shakespeare as he is forced back on the patronage of the enigmatic Earl of Southampton, after the London theatres are shut to halt the spread of the plague. I'm not sure what I can write now without giving the rest away, but suffice it to say it's got everything good historical novels should have; history (naturally), sex, poetry, horses and intrigue, as well as an intelligent and poignant narrative. Just in case I haven't said the word 'novel' enough, I should point out that the story behind The Sonnets, although aided by known facts, is entirely imagined by the author. However it is undoubtedly lent an authenticity by the 32 original sonnets that are weaved in to the text.

I am reminded of the book by it's recent publication, and the arrival of my own copy. It is my understanding that there has been some talk among bloggers about the image on the front, but I think the cover is as handsome as I'm certain the woman pictured is from the neck up.

The Sonnets is available now in limited edition (1,000 signed and numbered copies) hardback.
* (My worries about working directly with an author proved to be unfounded. Warwick was meticulous, and so quick to reply to my queries that the proofs were complete in little more than a week. He also agreed with nearly all of my suggested changes - which, on its own, just about guarantees an author a place in my good books.)

No comments: